Saturday, August 6, 2016

Editorial

I'm going to make him an offer he can't refuse.

I'm hoping some of you enjoyed the two new categories of postings I added back in late February, Cover Artist and Dark Horse Comics Year-by-Year.  I'm going to use the Cover Artist postings to feature popular artists that have contributed artwork to Star Wars covers.  I have already featured Mike Allred (who has since contributed covers to the Han Solo mini-series currently being published), Gabrielle Dell'Otto, J. Scott Campbell, Arthur Adams (another artist who has a recent cover for The Force Awakens #1), John Byrne, and Bill Sienkiewicz.  I've started articles for Drew Struzan and Adam Hughes.  The Year-by-Year postings are a way of looking at the output of comic publishers on a yearly basis starting with Dark Horse.  I find it fascinating how Dark Horse started with a trickle of Star Wars comics and ramped up to publish a massive number of Star Wars comics over time.  I have year-by-year analysis for 1991, 1992, and 1993 published and 1994 is in draft form right now.  Dark Horse published 34 Star Wars comics in 1994, over double the number of comics they published in 1993!  Since articles for these two categories require more research than a typical posting, they are more time consuming to put together, but I'm hoping they are a worthy addition to the other content in this blog.

Rogue One is quickly approaching and, like last year, I have plans for another Speculation Spotlight featuring comics to watch before this movie is released.  I had a lot of fun putting together Speculation Spotlight: 7 Comics to Watch When The Force Awakens and I suspect Rogue One will be equally as fun.  I also like to look at upcoming Marvel Star Wars comics and dig up information on past Star Wars comics that are tangentially related.  For example, the Rebel Prison story features a facility in close proximity to a sun which is reminiscent of the tale in Star Wars #58.  I also have plans for First Appearance articles for Jabba the Hutt (both versions) and Lando Calrissian, who was conspicuously absent from The Force Awakens.  The posting with the most hits on this site has been the one concerning Boba Fett's first appearance.

I finally have the U.S. and foreign cover galleries caught up.  Every comic cover featured in a blog posting now is shown as a thumbnail in the gallery.  You can click the image in the gallery to get a larger picture, hover over the larger picture, and all the postings that comic is in will appear and are clickable.  I'm concerned that these two pages might have too many images and will probably break these down into other pages over time.  Please let me know what you think.  Because of the time needed to update these pages, I'll probably wait until I have 3 or 4 new blogs before I update the galleries.  Hopefully in a few years these galleries will start getting filled out nicely.

It is still my plan to bring back the Trending page which was very popular.  My current thoughts are to contribute new information quarterly, rather than monthly.  I also have been thinking about adding a checklist page.  I like the idea of having checklists that can be printed out (maybe in PDF format.)  I also think it would be cool to have a complete checklist of all the new Marvel titles including a complete list of variant covers.  I cannot be the only one who has noticed new variant covers, like the Poe Dameron #1 Calgary Expo exclusive or Han Solo #1 Scholastic Reading Club exclusive, popping up all the time.  Plus it would be nice to note major milestones, like when Marvel publishes their 1000th Star Wars cover!

I have ambitious plans for this site and it would be nice to hear from the readers what is working and what is not working.  I'm also contemplating seeking out help from others who wish to contribute postings or other features to this site.  Please let me know and stick around for more cool content!

No comments:

Post a Comment