Sunday, December 21, 2014

Editorial

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away....

On the eve of Marvel's launch of new Star Wars comic titles in January 2015, I wanted a site to showcase Star Wars comics of the past and present, domestic and foreign.  My hope is to attract other Star Wars comic collectors who are passionate about their collection and love the stories.

Star Wars #1a - Marvel Comics, U.S. (July 1977)
1st Star Wars Comic
I have been a comic collector for over 35 years.  While I did have comics before Marvel Star Wars #26, I consider that comic the first comic book in my collection.  Star Wars #26 captured my imagination and started a collection which now contains 15,000+ comics, but the Star Wars titles have always held a special place for me.

Star Wars #26a - Marvel Comics, U.S. (August 1979)
My 1st Star Wars Comic
Like millions of kids in the 1970s, I was enthralled by Star Wars and like others, that first movie had a huge impact on my childhood.  I was only 8 years old when Star Wars was unleashed upon the world.  I spent many hours as a child playing with Kenner toys, speculating with my friends about the movie, role playing as Luke Skywalker or Han Solo, and yes, reading the comics.  By the time the sequel, The Empire Strikes Back, came out, I was already a devoted fan of the franchise.  My Star Wars comic collection has grown from the domestic Star Wars titles spanning Marvel and Dark Horse runs to include foreign printings of Marvel Star Wars comics.  My goal is to own as many different Star Wars comics from as many different countries as possible.

スターウォーズ - Kosei Ono, Japan (1978)
Star Wars #1 - 6
My devotion to the movies and comics never wavered; not when Marvel ceased publication in the 80s nor when the critically received first prequel, The Phantom Menace, was made.  I was just as entertained by the prequels as I was for the new books published first by Bantam and then by Del Rey and by the new comic titles that Dark Horse had been publishing since the early 1990s.  The prequels, books, and comics introduced new possibilities and situations to the expanding saga and I eagerly devoured everything that came out.

Star Wars: Dark Empire #1a - Dark Horse Comics, U.S. (December 1991)
1st Dark Horse Star Wars comic
Like the early 90s when Star Wars books and comics reintroduced us to that galaxy far, far away, it is an exciting time to be a Star Wars fan!  The first half season of Star Wars Rebels has just completed on the Disney XD network.  A new Star Wars movie is impending in the coming year.  Marvel is launching new Star Wars comic titles.  Unlike the 8 year old boy who was wide eyed and new to the concepts and characters, I am more familiar with this galaxy.  I have spent years reading about the Jedi, the fringe underbelly that arose with the oppressive Galactic Empire, and the rebel fighters who fought to restore freedom to the galaxy.  Like the 8 year old boy however, I am equally excited about the possibilities that exist in a continuation of the saga.

No comments:

Post a Comment