Sunday, January 1, 2017

Retro Dark Horse

Star Wars: Droids #1 - 8 (12 Days of C-3PO and R2-D2 Covers)

Celebrating day eight of the twelve days of C-3PO and R2-D2 covers!

"Will this never end?"

Fortunately it does end.  While this series was not designated a mini-series, it only lasted eight issues.  The same month issue #8 came out, Heir to the Empire #3, Splinter of the Mind's Eye #1, Boba Fett one-shot, Tales of the Jedi - Sith Wars #5, and Rogue Squadron #6 were published.  Dark Horse's Star Wars line was expanding rapidly and almost all these issues sold twice as many or more copies as Droids #8.

I have a confession to make, I did not read all eight of these issues.  I read enough to know this series picks up right where the mini-series left off.  Usually I read the comics before I make a posting, but I really am not a fan of the slapstick humor that infests this series.  I did read the previous 6-part mini-series and that was enough for me.  I don't mind humor in Star Wars when it is organic to the story, but I want the subject matter to be treated seriously.  These stories were not written for me, which is fine; the Star Wars galaxy is big enough for all sorts of tales and I'm not going to like all of them.  Instead I will just show the incredible covers by Kilian Plunkett.

Star Wars: Droids #1a - Dark Horse Comics, U.S. (April 1995)
Star Wars: Droids #2a - Dark Horse Comics, U.S. (May 1995)
Star Wars: Droids #3a - Dark Horse Comics, U.S. (June 1995)
Star Wars: Droids #4a - Dark Horse Comics, U.S. (July 1995)
Star Wars: Droids #5a - Dark Horse Comics, U.S. (September 1995)
Star Wars: Droids #6a - Dark Horse Comics, U.S. (October 1995)
Star Wars: Droids #7a - Dark Horse Comics, U.S. (November 1995)
Star Wars: Droids #8a - Dark Horse Comics, U.S. (December 1995)

No comments:

Post a Comment